Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Vimeo

Vimeo is a tool similar to YouTube where you can upload videos you created and share with friends and family.  You can also watch videos other people have created and  You can sign up on the main page for free or log in with your Facebook credentials.  There is a page where there are tutorials to teach you how to create videos if you do not already have your own.  You can also add channels that you follow with videos you like, create and moderate groups and also organize your videos into albums. 

Below is a video I uploaded to Vimeo that I created using FinalCut Pro.


FTI Team Outing 101409 from Jesse Strickland on Vimeo.

Here are some examples of videos that are on Vimeo's site. 

There are Vimeo apps that you can download for either your iOS or Android devices that will allow you to watch, create and share videos from wherever you are without needing a computer.

Kids could use this while on a field trip, if they are allowed to use cell phones, to make movies about what they saw and to share with other classmates, other schools or even their parents.  It would also be a way for them to save memories of things they have done.

5 comments:

  1. I have used VImeo in the past, especially when YouTube was blocked by our county. I like that Vimeo seems more PG rated than YouTube, so I feel more comfortable showing videos to my students. Contrary to YouTube, Vimeo has an entire section on HOW to use Vimeo with students. This would be beneficial to a teacher who might not have the background knowledge with technology and how to use it to enhance lessons. - Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that YouTube was blocked. That's good that there is an alternative and it is more appropriate for education. It was really easy to use to upload the example video I had.

      Delete
  2. Vimeo is not blocked by the HCPSS filter, so it is a great alternative for teachers to use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jesse, Vimeo seems like a really useful tool to use in the classroom! Like Amy, I really like that this site is much more PG than YouTube, which can have questionable "related videos" at the side and after movies that are shown. It's also great that the site isn't blocked by HCPSS.
    Since I work with young students, they would have a difficult time creating their own video. But I can see using it for professional development, especially with the technology internship we just had. We presented a lot of technologies to the staff, but because of various restraints, many staff members were unable to attend. Creating informational videos using Vimeo would be great to demonstrate for these teachers how to use the technologies we presented. And, since it's not blocked, they would be able to access the videos while they're planning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to give this a try with my weekly vocabulary videos. My students are required to write and act out a vocabulary skit using our vocabulary words in appropriate context. They record them using a flip camera. It seems like it would be a pretty easy process to upload the videos to Vimeo. That way they could be easily shared with other classes. Right now the videos are uploaded to our server and can only be viewed at school. I'm sure the students would like to review them at home and share them with their families as well. Of course I would have to get parental and administrative permission to post the videos and that might be difficult. It is worth a try though, and I agree with the others, Vimeo seems much more appropriate in terms of content. I'm sure there are other uses as well. It seems like once I apply a tool to one situation my students dream up countless others. Another use that would be very practical is uploading videos of daily math lessons. Last year students in my technology club began filming our daily math lesson. We then emailed the videos to students who were absent that day. How much easier it would be to simply upload them to Vimeo. Thank you so much for sharing this tool here.

    ReplyDelete